Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"Goodbye, 1up Galaxy!"

Before I get going on what I am about to say here, I want to say that the title is based on a game in the Commander Keen series, and therefore this title is apropos.

Today marks the end of one of the most productive periods in my young writing career: The first ever legitimate website I have worked for, 1upGalaxy, is no longer, being morphed into my friend the co-founder's website, and many of the posts have evaporated.

It was about this time last year that I heard about a new website for gamers that was starting up called 1up Galaxy.  I was one of the very first guys to write for the site, and I gradually became the most prolific writer on the site.  Eventually, I became the only writer on the site before it was folded this afternoon.

In the time that I worked on the site, I went through a very difficult period wherein I had to contend with greatly increased stress levels, a large productive period where I found my calling as a writer, found some of the amazing people that I now call my friends, and I even reconnected with two friends I had totally lost touch with for 20 years. 

I find, even now, that the short time I got to work on a legit website as a writer was absolutely invaluable to me.  I am forever grateful to my friends Van (known on YouTube as FiyahKitteh), Slim (SlimKirby), Scooter (PraisedScooter), and all the people I got to work with.  I'm sad that it had to end, but I feel very strongly that we all had to go our separate ways because of my newfound ambition in terms of my writing career.

Also, some of the features I started on 1up Galaxy, including Nintendo Direct recaps and GOG.com release week recaps, will in fact come over to this site.  There will no longer be any of my old articles coming over to the site, and in fact I will try to post twice every day, sometimes more if I get inspired to write, really it just depends on the day.  I hope you come with me on what is frankly the biggest writing adventure of my life, and I am happy to have you, my readers, along for the ride that I was not expecting to have, especially not this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment