Thursday, July 18, 2013

As The Steam/GOG Turns #3: As the Steam Summer Sale Winds Down, GOG's releases get paltrier

Welcome back to As The Steam/GOG Turns, the continuing story of two competing digital distribution services that compete for everyone's attention.  This is basically a wimpy week for releases because of Comic Con, so I'm just going to detail the GOG releases with a little backstory from me and leave it there.  Sorry about the short notice you guys.

Okay, okay, I admit it: I was a humongous real time strategy gamer back in the day.  I played everything from Warcraft 1 and 2 to Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.  It was about the time of Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds that I decided to not play that many RTS games after that because they were all getting really same-y for my tastes and it just felt like it was putting new coats of paint on the same, tired formulas.

Now, however, I'm considering getting back into the RTS genre because of the upcoming Divinity: Dragon Commander from Larian Studios because they are putting some new, unique spins into what frankly became an old, tired genre to me.

However, I totally missed the first game on the release docket this week for whatever reason, and that game is called Tzar: The Burden of the Crown.  I might totally get into this one because it's got a historical setting and because it should be different enough to make me reconsider that decision I made all those years ago.  And for $5.99, it's really a no-brainer, sale or not.

The second and final game this week is The Settlers IV: Gold Edition.  If you like the The Settlers series, then I say go for it, but for a lot of people (myself included), $9.99 is just too much to get a game like this if it is not on sale.  Sorry, but while it's $10, I feel that game has to be really playable to get to that $10 threshold, or be able to offer insane value for said $10.

And until next time, the Steam/GOG ever turns...

No comments:

Post a Comment