Friday, August 16, 2013

Life Is Like A Hurricane Week Conclusion: DuckTales: Remastered (PC) Review

Before I get into this review, I just want to say this for the record: I bought this game myself and as such, no matter if I get review codes or not, I will give my honest thoughts on the game.

INTRODUCTION AND OPENING THOUGHTS
Oh. My. God.  I grew up with DuckTales on the Game Boy and the cartoon.  This melds everything that was so great about the DuckTales cartoon and the DuckTales videogame into one melting pot of pure, unadulterated awesome.  I felt just like a kid again as I played the game, and that felt SO good.

I want to break this review up into parts so that I can talk about every aspect of the game equally.

STORY: 10
The story in the original DuckTales game was... shall I say... thorny at best.  Thankfully WayForward took what was kinda lacking in the original and gave it a superb, overarching story that includes a new tutorial level that is set in Scrooge McDuck's money bin and a brand new final confrontation level after all the original levels (Amazon, Transylvania, African Mines, Himalayas, and The Moon) are completed that I *dare* not spoil because it is one of those things that MUST be experienced firsthand and even my describing it is technically a spoiler.  All I will say is that Flintheart Glomgold, Magica De Spell, and the Beagle Boys are in the story and more integrated than they were in the original NES/ Game Boy title.

GRAPHICS / CONTROLS: 10
The graphics are fantastic and highly colorful, and the controls are just as they were in the original Game Boy title... that is, a tad on the slippery side.  They got every single nuance down pat and I love every minute of it.  However, if you have a really bad D-pad, ya might want to invest in a controller for your PC that has a really good D-pad.  Once the Xbox One's controller does work on PCs in 2014, I think this will be a thing of the past.

SOUND: 10
Jake Kaufman did one heck of a good job with all of the music in the game.  Each level is unbelievably good, the voice acting in the game is top-notch, and the sound just makes the game totally sing.  Great job, Mr. Kaufman, along with Capcom and the amazing people at Disney.  Please put the soundtrack out, somehow, some way.  I would buy it in a New York minute.

RATING AND FINAL THOUGHTS
This game is definitely a game that, if you are of a certain age and you love you some DuckTales, then this game is for you.  Even if you aren't of that age where you remember and love the show, this is still a game that must be experienced.  Yeah the cutscenes are a bit overly long, but the story is kind of dependent on these cutscenes and you miss something by automatically skipping every cutscene.  I give DuckTales: Remastered on PC a solid, highly recommended 10 out of 10.  An instant classic that deserves to be played.

No comments:

Post a Comment