Friday, August 16, 2013

As The Steam/GOG Turns #7: Lucky Seven Edition

Welcome back to As The Steam/GOG Turns, the continuing story of two competing digital distribution services that compete for everyone's attention.

This week's releases are, to be frank, a tad bit stark on the GOG side but the Steam side is amazingly rich and broad (and expensive...) this week, so let's get going!

First up in Steam-only releases is the game I just wrote and put up a review for, DuckTales: Remastered.  Capcom, Disney, and WayForward did a fabulous job and it is SO worth the $15 if you are nostalgic for your childhood and your childhood consisted of the Disney Afternoon.

Next is Europa Universalis IV.  The granddaddy of grand strategy games has returned, better than ever!  $40 is a tad pricey for a game that seems the slightest bit same-y, but then again people like NorthernLion on YouTube are doing videos about it, so who knows.

Next is Payday 2, the sequel to Payday: The Heist.  If you liked the first one, you're more than likely to like this, so there you go.  It's $30 or your regional equivalent, so if you enjoy that sort of thing then hop to it.  The rest of us can wait till it goes on significant sale.

Next is a game called Guncraft.  I guess this is for those who are fans of games like Minecraft, but since I am not a fan of these open-world sorts of games I will steer well clear, thanks.  $15 isn't too much but I'll wait till it goes on significant sale.

Next is a game called Catan: Creator's Edition, which is (finally, at long last) a PC version of the legendary board game Settlers of Catan, along with its Seafarers and Cities & Knights expansions.  It's $16.99 regularly but is on sale till the 21st of August for 10% off.

Next is Worms: Clan Wars, the latest in Team17's venerable series of artillery games with full Steam Workshop support.  If you like crazy games like this, then go for it, and go for it now.

Penultimately in the Steam-only releases, is Gone Home, a Myst-style exploration game.  Not bad, but not something I'm really that interested in, so I'll pass, thanks.

Finally in Steam-only releases is a preorder for Full Mojo Rampage with included Steam Early Access. I know next to nothing about this game, so I will not say anything more.

Next up is the "I don't know if I have covered this already" file, with the lone game King of Fighters XIII: Steam Edition, which is an updated version of the console fighter from two years ago with supposedly much improved netcode.

Next is the dual Steam/GOG releases. And apparently the time has come for people who want to to preorder Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, the newest in the Amnesia series of horror games.  And that's the only dual release this week.

Finally is the lone GOG-only release this week: Wargame: European Escalation, which is YARTSG (yet another RTS game).  The less said about this the better.

And before I go I will go into what I've been playing.  First I've been playing DuckTales Remastered and thoroughly enjoying that, and I've also been playing and enjoying Worms: Clan Wars as well.  Single-player is pretty good, and I haven't really done any multiplayer matches yet but I am enjoying what I've seen and/or played thus far.

So, that does it for this week.  And until next time, the Steam/GOG conflict ever turns...

No comments:

Post a Comment