Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Life is Like A Hurricane Week: BJ's Experience With The Original DuckTales

Because I haven't gotten to play with the newly-released DuckTales: Remastered yet, I decided today would be a perfect day to talk a lot about my experience with the original DuckTales game from Capcom.  It's unique, and it'll certainly help explain why I am mondo excited for the new Remastered game, which I am more than likely to pick up tomorrow (Wednesday).  But until then, I am celebrating DuckTales Week in style and talking about DuckTales-related topics.  Deal with it, folks.

My experience with the original DuckTales from Capcom and Disney is... shall I say... a tad bit unique.  First, a bit of history: I kind of had a bit of a strange childhood, as my father got a bunch of increasingly good jobs and we moved around quite a bit in my youth.  

I got a super-cool (at the time) Nintendo Game Boy for my 5th birthday, which in those days was the giant jobbie with the green screen, the soft purple buttons, and a game called Tetris packed in.  As a result, most of my most treasured gaming memories came on that little green-screened, purple-buttoned wonder.  I first experienced the Pokemon series on it, and I first played DuckTales on it.

Now, fast forward to the early 2000s.  DuckTales for the Game Boy had haunted my nightmares for years and years and years.  I booted it up on whatever new Game Boy was in my hot little hands at that time, and decided enough was enough, I had to beat this game, no matter what.  I started on Easy, went through each level in order, and beat that game senseless.  (Even then I wondered why Magica DeSpell and Flintheart Glomgold were teaming up to steal Scrooge's Number One Dime when we only saw Magica in the Transylvania level and we never saw Glomgold at all...)

Anywho, I started kicking the game while it was down, beating it senseless on the other two difficulties.  And after all of that... I didn't want to play that game again for a long time.  The fun, unfortunately, evaporated from that game for me.  So the fact that DuckTales: Remastered is out now (and was announced back in March on my birthday weekend at PAX East in Boston) makes me super happy, and I am 150% ready to experience what I loved about the DuckTales series and the game all over again.

Now, the fact that I played DuckTales on the Game Boy is significant because on the Game Boy version of the game, you only did the pogo move with a single button, i.e. you didn't have to hold down on the Control Pad like you did on the NES version, like the difference between Easy Pogo and Hard Pogo in DuckTales Remastered.  So, as a result, I've... never really gotten to play the original NES version, but once I start to beat this game senseless all over again, I will probably more than likely want to play the original NES DuckTales.

No comments:

Post a Comment