Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I Have Seen The Future of Television...

... And it is livestreamed.  For free in most instances.  Over the Internet.

At the time I am writing this (to set it up for when this DOES post), I just finished watching something that has major implications for the future of television: The Comedy Central Roast of James Franco.  And no, I don't mean jokes that are more tasteless than mystery meat in your school cafeteria.  You expect that from a Comedy Central roast.  No, I am talking about how this portends great things for the future of television on the Internet.

What is this glorious future, you may ask?  Well, I am glad you asked.  I envision a future where I don't have browser plugins written by entities named Adobe that decide at extremely inopportune moments to die horribly.  I envision a future where Apple and Google are like Internet cable service providers that give EVERYONE a fair shake on cool things like WatchESPN, HBO Go, and television in general.  I envision a future that has iTunes (or Google Play if you're on Android) as the backbone for a glorious television viewing experience that allows for everyone, whether you have already cut the cable cord or not, to have exactly the same television viewing experience, on whatever devices you own, no questions asked.

The livestream of the Franco Roast was actually, surprisingly, largely stable for the amount of people that (probably) live streamed it.  And the ad experience DIDN'T suck for once!  I thought the ads they did choose were (largely) in good taste, and the fact that they didn't inundate you with really shifty products by screaming at you was also a nice change.  Yeah okay you have to cater to the Comedy Central target market, but they actually chose ads that were in mostly good taste, and they didn't offend my intelligence with all that many of them (which for them is an act of God in most ordinary circumstances).  I didn't find all that many of them to be all that FUNNY, but my sense of humor is... a tad bit more refined than the average sense of humor of Comedy Central's target market.  Kudos to Comedy Central for sticking the landing though.

So... if you saw the #FrancoRoast online, what did you think?  Was it as good as I thought it was as far as the future of television is concerned?

No comments:

Post a Comment